Current:Home > MyNorfolk Southern to end relocation aid right after one-year anniversary of its fiery Ohio derailment -Capitatum
Norfolk Southern to end relocation aid right after one-year anniversary of its fiery Ohio derailment
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-06 15:16:21
Norfolk Southern railroad plans to stop paying relocation aid to people displaced by last February’s fiery derailment in eastern Ohio right after the one-year anniversary of the crash.
Railroad officials announced the change this week as they reiterated their long-term commitment to helping the town of East Palestine, Ohio, and the surrounding area near the Pennsylvania border recover. Norfolk Southern has committed more than $103 million in aid to the area, including nearly $21 million paid out directly to residents whose lives were upended by the derailment.
When the train careened off the tracks on the night of Feb. 3, several tank cars filled with hazardous chemicals ruptured, and their contents caught fire. Then a few days later officials blew open five more tank cars to keep them from exploding. The chemical spill left residents with lingering health worries about potential long-term effects.
With the completion of soil removal from the derailment site in October, the Atlanta-based railroad decided it was time to stop paying the expenses of people who still haven’t returned to their homes. A Norfolk Southern spokesman said fewer than 100 households are still receiving that aid because most residents have already returned to East Palestine.
“This program was always a temporary one for those residents who chose to relocate during the site remediation process,” spokesman Tom Crosson said.
The move to end relocation aid, which will take effect Feb. 9, had been rumored for months. But the decision still angered some residents like Jami Wallace, who posted online “Thank you NS for flipping another bird at residents.”
“It’s truly bad timing,” Wallace said in a message to The Associated Press. “Most were financially devastated by the derailment. It’s already a financially stressful time of year and now to worry about where you are going to live.”
The railroad is offering to pay to clean the homes of anyone who hasn’t returned home yet as long as they didn’t already take advantage of a similar program earlier. And for residents who decided to move, Norfolk Southern has offered to compensate them for any lost value in their homes as long as they agree to give up any other property damage claims against the railroad.
Norfolk Southern has estimated that its response to the derailment has already cost nearly $1 billion and that total will only grow as the cleanup continues, three funds it has committed to create are finalized and various lawsuits are addressed. But the railroad will get compensation from its insurers and likely other companies involved in the derailment to offset some of that cost.
Norfolk Southern CEO Alan Shaw said he knows there is still more work to do in East Palestine, but he is proud of the progress that has been made since the derailment.
“We’ll continue keeping our promises and listening to the community,” Shaw said. “Together, we’re focused on economic development to help the East Palestine community thrive for the long term.”
veryGood! (819)
Related
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- A 2-year-old's body was found in trash, police say. His father's been charged with killing him.
- Lab data suggests new COVID booster will protect against worrisome variant
- 5 killed, 3 injured in Atlanta crash that shut down I-85
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Maker of rapid-fire triggers falsely told customers they are legal, judge says in preliminary ruling
- 3 rescued from Coral Sea after multiple shark attacks damaged inflatable catamaran
- Why Whoopi Goldberg Missed The View's Season 27 Premiere
- Stamford Road collision sends motorcyclist flying; driver arrested
- Alabama football reciprocates, will put Texas fans, band in upper deck at Bryant-Denny
Ranking
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- $1,500 reward offered after headless antelope found in Arizona: This is the act of a poacher
- Alabama football reciprocates, will put Texas fans, band in upper deck at Bryant-Denny
- Body of solo climber recovered from Colorado mountains
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Fan ejected at US Open after Alexander Zverev says man used language from Hitler’s regime
- World War I memorials in France and Belgium are vying again to become UNESCO World Heritage sites
- Diddy to give publishing rights to Bad Boy Records artists Notorious B.I.G., Mase, Faith Evans
Recommendation
Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
Former Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio faces sentencing in the Jan. 6 Capitol attack
Albuquerque prosecutors take new approach to combatting retail theft
Why bird watchers are delighted over an invasion of wild flamingos in the US
Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
Naomi Campbell Just Dropped a Surprisingly Affordable Clothing Collection With $20 Pieces
Fan ejected from US Open match after German player said the man used language from Hitler’s regime
Peter Navarro's trial on charges of contempt of Congress set to begin